Monday, February 21, 2011

Fishtail Braids



I've been wanting to experiment with different braids lately so I decided to learn how to do a fishtail braid. I watched a few videos on youtube first and didn't get the technique until I watched the one below. I think she explains it pretty well.

I tried it on my own hair first (below), I'd recommend using a mirror until you get the hang of it. It looks choppy on my hair because I have so many layers. I think the key is grabbing smaller sections to cross over and make sure you have a tight grip on both sections. When I did the braid on my hair, I kept letting each section go to grab hair and cross over, I need to work on that.

I tried it on A tonight. I think it came out pretty well for my first time trying this braid in her hair. I split her hair into two so the picture you see above is the left side of her head only. A fishtail braid takes much longer than a regular braid, at least I think so, so patience is key. My hand was actually cramping when I tried doing it on myself, no problems when I tried it on A though.

Hopefully I will get good enough at this braid to post an actual style and not just practice pictures.



Great video I found from this youtuber.

6 comments :

  1. This is cute. Good Job Mom! I'm still working on the 4 strand chain braid. Can't do it to save my life! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fishtail braids are so pretty. I think your practice pictures look pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really great on A's long hair. I have been practicing on my daughter's Head and Shoulder Barbie doll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty!! It looks really good on A's super long hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done this braid before on one of my friends hair. It does take forever, but I like the way it looks. I think I will wait to do it on my daughters hair for a little while. She is only two, and does like to sit to long while I do her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! Please do not use our blog to advertise or promote anything without our permission. Also, remember this is a children's blog so lets keep it friendly! Thank you.